Meet Our Celebrity Guests - Chris and Peyton Lambton!
Chris Lambton transform backyards, one house at a time, with the help of his wife Peyton in their HGTV series Going Yard. The show highlights Chris’ landscaping skills and gardening know-how as he and Peyton create outdoor living spaces including patios, arbors, and water features for deserving homeowners. Chris also hosts DIY’s Yard Crashers, HGTV’s Smart Home Giveaway, GAC’s RV 2014, and Best Ever Tree Houses
Don’t miss this chance to meet and hear from Chris and Peyton! Go online now to register to attend. Register today at: www.SEBCshow.com.
|News from Your Tallahassee Builders Association
June 30, 2015
TBA builder members will be pleased to learn that the Florida Home Builders Association
(FHBA) has been successful in achieving a one-year delay for the blower door and mechanical ventilation requirements
in the 5th edition of the Florida Building Code
, which was scheduled to go into effect onJuly 1, 2015
. FHBA had achieved a 90-day delay through an emergency rule of the Florida Building Commission
adopted on June 19, 2015 but the one-year delay is a result of legislative action in the recently-completed special session of the Florida Legislature
. Through your annual dues payment, TBA members are automatically members of FHBA
) and the National Association of Home Builders
President Alan Weekley of Alan Weekley Homes is facilitating a smooth transition in TBA's executive leadership. Paul Thompson (at right in photo),
who has served as TBA's Executive Officer
for the past 3½ years (including three under a management contract with the Florida Home Builders Association when he was FHBA's CEO/Executive Vice President) is leaving Tallahassee on July 31, 2015
to help his son start a church in Aurora, Colorado. The TBA Board of Directors has elevated Deputy Executive OfficerLynne Edwards
(at left in photo) to the Executive Officer role, effective August 1, 2015
. Paul is a veteran of 40 years in association management and a member of the Florida Housing Hall of Fame
and the TBA Hall of Fame
for his career contributions to the state and local home building industry. Edwards has more than 20 years of association experience, including previous staff positions with the Hernando Builders Association
and TBA. Edwards, who served for many years as FHBA's Vice President of Exposition Management
overseeing the Southeast Building Conference (SEBC), Aurora,
and Excel Awards
, has worked for TBA as Deputy EO since January 2015.
TBA thanks Independent Green Technologies (IGT) for sponsoring last week's Hard Hat Happy Hour at their impressive headquarters on the campus of Tallahassee Community College. In photo, IGT's Director of Engineering Matt Chentnik (right) welcomes TBA builder member MarkKessler of Kessler Construction to the event. IGT offers a wide range of products and services, including solar energy and photovoltaic systems, system consulting and design, TruSeal® duct sealing, and LED lighting. Check out the company's web site at www.igtsolar.com. Be sure to mark your calendar for the next Hard Hat Happy Hour set for July 30, 5:30 pm to 7 pm at Brian Barnard's Flooring America (2731 Capital Circle Northeast).
All TBA builders and members of the Green Building Council are invited toattend the free Thursday, July 9, 2015luncheon/seminar at 11:30 am at the Myers Park Community Room (912 Myers Park Road). The event is sponsored by the City of Tallahassee Natural Gas Utility and the program will be presented by TAW Power Systems, Inc. and TBA members John and Vicki Cunniff of Power On LLC and highlights emergency standby power generators made by Kohler® Power Systems.
Nationally renowned residential energy-efficiency expert Steve Easley is coming to Tallahassee and TBA members can not only hear him free of charge but also earn two hours of continuing education credits at the same time. Easley will speak on the subject of "Building Energy Efficient Homes: Understanding the House as a System" on Tuesday, August 11, 2015from 10 am to Noon at the Holiday Inn & Suites at 2725 Graves Road (I-10 and North Monroe). Lunch will be provided by the seminar sponsors:DuPont™ Tyvek and Parksite. The Florida Green Building Coalition (FGBC) is sponsoring the continuing education credits for builders and architects. The two-hour course for contractors (CILB) is #0608302-High Performance Housing (two general hours of CEUs) and for architects, the Course is FBAID #9878179-High Performance Housing (two HSW Level 1 CEUs). FGBC's Provider number is 004878. The seminar takes the place of TBA's monthly Green Building Council meeting which normally would have been held the second Thursday of the month. Click here to view the program flyer and be sure to reserve your spot today. For more information contact Lynne Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome These New TBA Members and Support Them
- Cain & Bultman, Burton Williams, (904) 356-4812, email@example.com, flooring distributor, flooring, floor covering and wood (Sponsor: Warren Weeks)
- Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet, Barbie Jordan and Rusty Connell, (850) 576-4000, Automobile/Truck Sales and Service (Sponsor: Karen Koelemij)
- Federated Insurance, Chris McPhail, (763) 898-6787,firstname.lastname@example.org, insurance services (Sponsor: Mark Trudeau)
- Hendrickson Insurance, Maria Hendrickson, (850) 878-5600,email@example.com, insurance agents (Sponsor: Tom Vieth)
- L&L Construction Services, Jeff Strickland, (229) 378-4243,firstname.lastname@example.org, residential builder, remodeling, restoration (Sponsor: Mark Worley)
- Tallahassee Floor Finishing, Thomas Zingale, (850) 656-5500,email@example.com, installation and refinishing (Sponsor: Mark Worley)
- Tallahassee Roofing, Inc., Barney Taylor, Jr., (850) 562-8366,firstname.lastname@example.org, roofing, roof maintenance, and sheet metal (Sponsor: Karen Koelemij)
- Capital City Bank, Rhonda Koenders, (850) 545-0938,Koenders.email@example.com, mortgage banking services (Sponsor: Helen Proctor)
- Capital City Design Center, Carrie Swain-Simone, (850) 545-5410,firstname.lastname@example.org, interior design (Sponsor: Masoud Karimipour)
- Hancock Bank, Robert Barnette, (850) email@example.com (Sponsor: Deborah McClellan)
- Hancock Bank, Abby Smith, (850) firstname.lastname@example.org (Sponsor: Deborah McClellan)
- Hancock Bank, Debbie Sullivan, (850) email@example.com (Sponsor: Deborah McClellan)
- Prime Meridian Bank, April Dean, (850) firstname.lastname@example.org, mortgage banking services (Sponsor: Philip Pomeroy)
- Prime Meridian Bank, Lew Moore, (850) email@example.com, construction lending and mortgage banking (Sponsor: Philip Pomeroy)
Be sure to see the TBA calendar below for many educational and networking opportunities.
Paul M. Thompson, CAE, MIRM
Tallahassee Builders Association
P.O. Box 1212
Tallahassee, FL 32302
Mobile: (850) 251-1053
Office: (850) 385-1414
Fax: (850) 561-6868
Upcoming TBA Meetings:
- July 8, 11:30 am to 2 pm, TBA Board of Directors Strategic Planning Session, Prime Meridian Bank (1897 Capital Circle NE)
- July 9, 11:30 am, Green Building Council, sponsored by TAW Power Generators and Power On, LLC, Myers Park Community Room (912 Myers Park Road)
- July 16-18, Southeast Building Conference, Orlando (www.sebcshow.com)
- July 19 (please note that TBA will not hold a general membership meeting in July)
- July 30, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored by Brian Barnard's Flooring America (2731 Capital Circle Northeast)
- August 11, 10 am to Noon (Free Program serving as August Green Building Council meeting), Building Energy Efficient Homes with Steve Easley, Holiday Inn and Suites (2725 Graves Road at I-10 and Thomasville Road) (lunch will be provided)
- August 20, 11:30 am, General Membership Meeting, Speaker: Florida Home Builders Association President Jerry Linder, Holiday Inn & Suites (2725 Graves Road). Attendance requires pre-registration byNoon on August 19th.
- August 27, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byCapital City Bank (3528 Thomasville Road)
- September 17, 11:30 am, General Membership Meeting, speaker: Leon County Administrator Vince Long, Holiday Inn & Suite (2725 Graves Road) Attendance requires pre-registration by Noon onSeptember 16.
- September 24, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored bySunshine Savings Bank (1400 East Park Avenue)
- October 29, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byBarkley Consulting Engineers (3494 Martin Hurst Road)
Register today for the Southeast Building Conference:
Join us at the Southeast Building Conference on July 16-18, 2015 inOrlando for a four (4) track program: Architecture & Design, Sales/Marketing, Professional Developmentand Continuing Education (CEUs). The track education accommodates the professional growth of builders, trades professionals and production managers, as well as sales and office staff.
Sales and marketing professionals can acquire new selling techniques from nationally acclaimed speakers during the Sales/Marketing track. With an emphasis on Professional Development and Construction Practices for new home and remodeling construction, the SEBC offers builders and trade professionals the knowledge they need on the latest in construction products and techniques, regulation and code changes, green construction and energy efficiency.
Go to www.SEBCshow.com to learn more about the show, seminars, special events and register today to attend. You won't want to miss this opportunity to learn, grow and engage!
DOUG BARTON, CIP, CAPS
Roberts Sand Company
THOMAS ASBURY, JR.
Premier Fine Homes
JERRY McFARLAND, CIP
James McFarland Builders
|Tallahassee Builders Association Senior Officers
Alan Weekley, CIP, CAPS
|FIRST VICE PRESIDENT
Larry Wayne Strickland, CIP, CAPS
Bill Kimberl, CIP, CAPS
Thomas Asbury, Jr.
|SECOND VICE PRESIDENT
|THIRD VICE PRESIDENT
|IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT
Masoud Karimipour, CIP, CAPS
|IMMEDIATE PAST SECOND
David Perkins, CIP, CAPS
|Builder Directors: Doug Barton, CIP, CAPS; Jane Conn; H.R. "Sonny" Phillips, CAPS; Shane Lambert, CIP, CAPS; Jerry McFarland, CIP
Ex-Officio Builder Directors: Ed Dion, CIP, CAPS; Pat Gridley; John Koelemij; Karen Koelemij, CAPS; Robert Parrish; Stan Derzypolski, CIP, CAPS; Mark Worley, CIP, CAPS, GMB; Mark Trudeau, CIP, CAPS
|Associate Directors: Bobby Dollar (Appliance Consultants); Garth Easton (Pro-Build); Philip Pomeroy (Prime Meridian Bank); Deborah McClellan (Hancock Bank); Mike Roberts (Roberts Sand Company)
Ex-Officio Associate Directors: Doug Barkley, P.E. (Barkley Consulting Engineers); Drexal Harris (Baker-Harris Insurance); Lynn Wollschlager (Carpet One); Larisa Kuleshova (City Gas)
|P.O. Box 1212, • Tallahassee, FL 32302-1212 • Phone: 850-385-1414 • Fax: 850-561-6868 • www.tallyba.com
Physical Address: 641 McDonnell Drive (32310) Railroad Square Art Park