|News from Your Tallahassee Builders Association
March 24, 2015
Three events are on the calendar this week for members of the Tallahassee Builders Association.
First, on Wednesday (March 25), home builders and remodelers are particularly encouraged to attend the TBA Remodelers Councilluncheon/seminar, especially if they want to get more business from the huge market of people looking to "age in place." The event will be held starting at 11:30 am at the Myers Park Community Room. Sponsored by the City of Tallahassee Natural Gas Utility, the program features a highly knowledgeable speaker - Sharon Hennigan, CAPS - who will:
- Introduce participants to the AARP HomeFit program, whichserves as a referral resource and tool for homeowners to use in evaluating their homes for safety and function.
- Share aging issues and possible solutions for reducing and eliminating falls and injuries, and improving homeowners' safety around the home.
- The roles of the occupational therapist (OT) and the contractor in aging-in-place enhancements to the home.
The luncheon is free to Remodelers Council members and $10 to non-members. You can register by going to http://www.tallyba.com/tba-events.
Second, on Thursday (March 26), you're invited to a free lunch and the Grand Opening (from 10 am to 2 pm) of TBA member Interior/Exterior Building Supply that serves as this month's TBA Hard Hat Happy Hour. This event - where you are encouraged to bring your associates and guests - takes place at Interior/Exterior's showroom at 540 Appleyard Drive. In addition to great food, there will be door prizes and product tours hosted by vendors such as Owens Corning, National Gypsum, CertainTeed, and Prime Source. See the dates for future Hard Hat Happy Hours in the calendar below.
Third, TBA members are invited to attend a social event hosted by theMortgage Bankers Association of Tallahassee, which features bowling and a Silent Auction on Friday evening (March 27) from 6 pm to 8 pm at the Capital Lanes (820 Capital Circle NE). TBA still needs two outstanding bowlers to join its bowling team that includes Warren Weeks of Floorida Floors andEric Davis of Sheetrock Services. If you want to bowl on the TBA team, email Paul Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you plan to attend the event, RSVP to event coordinator Rhonda Koenders (email@example.com).
In other TBA news, the line-up of builders is set for the 2015 Parade of Homes on May 9-10 and May 16-17; participating builders are Adams Quality Homes, AD Homes, Ertl Homes, Foundation Homes, Kenley Design & Construction, Panhandle Building Services, Parrish Group, Persica Homes, Pitman's Custom Construction, Powerhouse Construction, Premier Fine Homes, Sneed Construction and Vieth Construction... Platinum sponsors of the Parade of Homes are Capital City Bank, City of Tallahassee Natural Gas Utility, and Hancock Bank... Kristi White and Brianna Gubala have recently joined Centennial Bank's mortgage loan department, according to Matt Brown, Tallahassee Market President; White is a mortgage loan officer and Gubala is mortgage loan assistant...TBA member Kessler Construction and Rogers Developmentshave teamed up to
create the first and only residential community in Leon County where all the newly-built homes will be certified to meet stringent Green Building standards for energy-efficiency and sustainability; the official ground-breaking of the first model home (see rendering at right) in the Southern Oaks
development isWednesday (March 25).
TBA is pleased to welcome these new members:
Blueprint Shop, Susan Atwood, 850-224-2699,firstname.lastname@example.org, building permits, printing/direct mail, promotional products.
Earl Bacon Agency, Robert Nylan, 850-878-2121, email@example.com, insurance and risk management services.
Ertl Homes, Tom Ertl, 850-893-6570, firstname.lastname@example.org, custom home building and remodeling.
Full Press Apparel, Inc., Danny Shrine, 850-222-1003,email@example.com; promotional products, advertising, custom apparel/uniforms/safety gear.
Huber Engineered Woods, Jason Coleman, 800-933-9220,Jason.firstname.lastname@example.org, flooring, floor covering, wood, roofing supplies/materials.
Susan Atwood (right) and Candace Abend of The Blueprint Shop are new TBA members who provide building permitting services.
Be sure to see the TBA calendar below for many educational and networking opportunities... and the Member Benefit of the Week.
Paul M. Thompson, CAE, MIRM
Tallahassee Builders Association
Upcoming TBA Meetings:
- March 25, 11:30 am, Remodelers Council, Subject: Aging-in-Place Remodeling Opportunities, Myers Park Community Room (Sponsored byCity of Tallahassee Natural Gas Utility)
- March 26, 10 am to 2 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour (luncheon and Grand Opening) Sponsored by Interior/Exterior Building Supply (540 Appleyard Drive)
- March 27, 6 pm to 8 pm, Mortgage Bankers Association of Tallahassee Bowling Tournament and Silent Auction, (820 Capital Circle NE)
- April 30, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byPersica Homes Model Home (location to be announced)
- May 14, 6 pm to 9 pm, Parade of Homes Awards Dinner, Hotel Duval
- May 28, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byCentennial Bank (1953 Thomasville Road)
- June 25, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byIndependent Green Technologies (3954 West Pensacola Street)
- July 30, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored by Brian Barnard's Flooring America (2731 Capital Circle Northeast)
- August 27, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byMortgage Bankers Association of Tallahassee (location to be determined)
- September 24, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored by Sunshine Savings Bank (1400 East Park Avenue)
- October 29, 5:30 pm to 7 pm, Hard Hat Happy Hour, Sponsored byBarkley Consulting Engineers (3494 Martin Hurst Road)
This week's featured MEMBER BENEFIT:
Sample contracts are available to TBA members as a cost-saving service of the Florida Home Builders Association. Among the various types of contracts available are between contractors and consumers (new construction and remodeling), and contractors and subcontractors, as well as contracts that document change orders and price-escalation agreements. To obtain one or more of the documents, send an email email@example.com.
DOUG BARTON, CIP, CAPS
Roberts Sand Company
THOMAS ASBURY, JR.
Premier Fine Homes
JERRY McFARLAND, CIP
James McFarland Builders
|Tallahassee Builders Association Senior Officers
Alan Weekley, CIP, CAPS
|FIRST VICE PRESIDENT
Larry Wayne Strickland, CIP, CAPS
Bill Kimberl, CIP, CAPS
Thomas Asbury, Jr.
|SECOND VICE PRESIDENT
|THIRD VICE PRESIDENT
|IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT
Masoud Karimipour, CIP, CAPS
|IMMEDIATE PAST SECOND
David Perkins, CIP, CAPS
|Builder Directors: Doug Barton, CIP, CAPS; Jane Conn; H.R. "Sonny" Phillips, CAPS; Shane Lambert, CIP, CAPS; Jerry McFarland, CIP
Ex-Officio Builder Directors: Ed Dion, CIP, CAPS; Pat Gridley; John Koelemij; Karen Koelemij, CAPS; Robert Parrish; Stan Derzypolski, CIP, CAPS; Mark Worley, CIP, CAPS, GMB; Mark Trudeau, CIP, CAPS
|Associate Directors: Bobby Dollar (Appliance Consultants); Garth Easton (Pro-Build); Philip Pomeroy (Prime Meridian Bank); Deborah McClellan (Hancock Bank); Mike Roberts (Roberts Sand Company)
Ex-Officio Associate Directors: Doug Barkley, P.E. (Barkley Consulting Engineers); Drexal Harris (Baker-Harris Insurance); Lynn Wollschlager (Carpet One); Larisa Kuleshova (City Gas)
|P.O. Box 1212, • Tallahassee, FL 32302-1212 • Phone: 850-385-1414 • Fax: 850-561-6868 • www.tallyba.com
Physical Address: 641 McDonnell Drive (32310) Railroad Square Art Park